Fiat Luxpresents the exterior of the building

while it was under construction. Located at 1733
16th Street, NW, the House of the Temple was
inspired by one of the seven wonders of the world,
the mausoleum of Halicarnassus. 

Egyptian touches (sphinxes and  pyramid dome)

combine with Masonic iconography to help all
Freemasons who enter to remember the lessons
taught in their degree work. 

Journey Into Lightbrings the viewer inside the

 opulent building, showing the imposing staircase
that leads from the entrance to the Supreme Council
Chamber. The combination of Masonic and ancient
symbols seen on the exterior is continued inside.

In addition to the Scottish Rite’s House of the

Temple, the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of the
District of Columbia is included, the subject of
Waddell’s The Good of Masonry Entirely at Heart.
Constructed in 1922, the building is located at 1000
U Street, NW. The District’s Prince Hall Grand
Lodge dates back to 1848.

While the House of the Temple is an opulent

building and the Prince Hall Grand Lodge is more
stately, DC’s Almas Temple is eye-catchingly
 unusual. 

Home to the district’s Shriners, the temple was

built in 1929 in Middle Eastern style. While the
choice of this style of architecture will come as no
surprise to Shriners, it undoubtedly provokes
 numerous questions from tourists who happen to
pass by. 

Located in McPherson Square, the temple reflects

the popularity of Middle Eastern style which was in

vogue when the Shrine
was established in 1872. 

In addition to

showing the front of the
 building, Nobles of the
Mystic Shrine includes
five Shriners in the
foreground wearing their
fezzes and  carrying their
instruments, coming
together to  provide the
fun fellowship for which
the group is known.

The time period

covered by the exhibition
begins with George
Washington’s terms in
office as  President and
ends with President
Harry S. Truman in the
early 1950s. 

While the focus of

most of the paintings is on architecture and
landscape, several do include or allude to prominent
DC Freemasons, like these two Presidents. Within
These Walls
shows the White House during extensive
renovations in the late 1940s and early 1950s when
the interior was  completely removed and the exterior
walls supported with stronger foundations. 

During a visit to the  construction site, President

Truman noticed carvings on the original foundation
stones. 

Discovering that these were signatures left by the

18th century stonemasons who had built the original
foundation,  Truman sent one of these stones to each
of the U.S. Grand Lodges, as well as to the Scottish
Rite,  Northern Masonic and Southern Jurisdictions. 

The National Heritage Museum is pleased to

have  custody of two of these stones — those sent to
the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts and
the Scottish Rite, Northern Masonic Jurisdiction by
President Truman. Both organizations have placed
their stones on loan to the museum. 

Inspired by the paintings in the exhibition, the

museum is adding approximately 25 objects to the
gallery from its collection to help bring the paintings
to life. 

For example, one of the actual White House

foundation stones will accompany the painting of the
White House renovations. 

Placing the historic  artifacts next to the paintings

12

November 2009 

The Northern Light

Pair of Masonic

Columns, ca.

1840, Ohio,

 National Heritage

Museum. 

Photograph by

John M. Miller

Stone from the White House Foundation, ca. 1792,
Loaned by the Grand Lodge of Masons in
 Massachusetts.

Photograph by David Bohl.